Need advice pertaining to GSoC proposal

Debayan Banerjee debayanin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:32:58 UTC 2009

Just to clarify,

2009/4/7 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> At least partially true.
>
>  Of the ones that work well, some are
> illegal for us to point people at.

You are not pointing people anywhere. Fedora tells users absolutely
nothing about them. Infact, Fedora can explicitly tell them not to use
them at all.
But I am not pushing for an acceptance of the 3rd party enabled
package-kit 1 click install system. I understand the security risks,
> Of the ones that are left, we don't
> control any of them so there's no guarantee that even if they work well
> with Fedora today, have good security, etc, they'll be the same
> tomorrow.  Fedora doesn't review the practices of third party
> repositories and doing so could be seen as micromanaging.

Again, Fedora is not reviewing. Fedora has no say or opinion at all
about which 3rd party repository is better.
I followed Patrick's idea of the trust-vote system which would have
made it a user-advising-user thing. But that alsocan be compromised as
many believe.

> So I think the majority of opinions here is that such a service would
> not be a big help to Fedora users.  And it could be a big headache.
> This might be a service that could be done outside of Fedora... but I
> think a discussion of that would be a bit offtopic.

I have no intention of doing it outside of Fedora. I wanted to work
with the community.
And I still want to know why no one uses PackageKit catalogs.
Of the various things i have suggested is there anything that does not
jeopardise the security of Fedora users but adds value?

--
Be Intelligent, Use GNU/Linux

http://debayanin.googlepages.com/
http://debayan.wordpress.com