My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

David dgboles at comcast.net
Tue Apr 7 22:43:13 UTC 2009

On 4/7/2009 4:31 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:

> My first fedora 11 beta run-in with not having dontzap set to false.

> I have a dual twin setup. This already requires an xorg.conf file,
> because in the no-config running, xorg decides you want to only use
> one of the two screens it finds. I don't know why, I consider it a bug.

> I configure it to have dual screen. When I login, my window manager dies
> on me. My gnome panel only works in my left screen, but anything I
> select pops up on the right screen, out of focus. I can move my mouse
> into the other screen but I cannot get any focus. So I cannot get to a
> terminal or any other application.

> So I ctrl-alt-f2. Now my left monitor goes into standby mode and my
> right monitor just shows a blinking cursor. The same for all VC's except
> alt-f7 which brings me back to my broken X session.

> I had to login via ssh to fix my machine, because I could not restart X.
> Indeed, i did not have sysrq enabled yet, that's disabled per default it
> seems.

> +1 for reverting to the old behaviour of having ctrl-alt-backspace kill
> the current X session.

Sorry Paul. But it does not look like, from what I read here, that there
will be a vote on this. It appears that you, and all others, have two options.

1: Live with it as default 'off'.

2: Change it to 'on' to suit yourself.

Great thing about Linux. You can do pretty much just as you wish.

Good luck.

--

  David