dontzap - a application to revert dontzap setting

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Apr 8 16:25:47 UTC 2009

> Callum Lerwick wrote:
>
> > Hey I have a genius idea. ENABLE ctl-alt-bs by default, and DISABLE it
> > as part of the user login process. Are we expecting people to be using
> > Emacs at the GDM login screen?
>
> Please stop rehashing the same old discussions in this thread as well.
> No need for the emacs conspiracy theory all over again.

Its not the same old discussion, its an entirely new suggestion. I
mention emacs out of sarcasm, and perhaps a metaphor. Lighten up. It's
still a serious suggestion. Notice how *I* have been trying to offer
alternatives amenable to both sides, rather than just whining about
reverting the change.

There have been THREE realistic suggestions for how to retain the
functionality without nuking the functionality entirely, while still
recognizing that ctl-alt-bs IS possible to accidentally hit.

1) Make the key combo more obscure. ctl-alt-lshift-rshift-bs

2) The SUSE patch, require hitting it twice

3) Enable by default, disable by default once in a user session.

All three are independent, and all three can be implemented if you think
the X server hasn't been nerfed enough yet.