making available usb usable iso's without using livecd-iso-to-disk or liveusb-creator

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Apr 12 10:09:20 UTC 2009

psmith wrote:
> like i said it was brought up that liveusb-creator and
> livecd-iso-to-disk were available, but both of these are additional
> packages and incur resource usage where as releasing an iso that is both
> usb and cdr compatible saves resources

Actually, making a hybrid ISO wastes the resource which is most valuable:
disk space on the live CD! We're always very much at the limit of the live
CD size, we have no room for extra USB stuff.

> and makes the step of writing to usb a simple one, granted liveusb-creator
> and livecd-iso-to-disk are easy enough to use but they are an additional
> download where as dd is installed by default.

Not on Window$, which is what the people who want to try out Fedora are most
likely to use. A GUI tool is actually more useful for them than a
command-line port of dd.

For those people already using Fedora: liveusb-creator is included by
default on the KDE spin. As it uses PyQt4, there are some space problems
with including it on the GNOME spin (see above - live CDs are already very
full).

> i can see no reason not to use this dual format for live releases, and if
> you think that because tools are available to use the existing method is a
> valid reason not to move forward with other more useful methods then i
> don't know what to say :-/

liveusb-creator is the more useful method, as it allows you to control your
overlay size and share the USB stick with other stuff.

        Kevin Kofler