making available usb usable iso's without using livecd-iso-to-disk or liveusb-creator

David dgboles at comcast.net
Sun Apr 12 16:26:32 UTC 2009

On 4/12/2009 12:10 PM, psmith wrote:
> David wrote:

>>> like i said it was brought up that liveusb-creator and
>>> livecd-iso-to-disk were available, but both of these are additional
>>> packages and incur resource usage where as releasing an iso that is both
>>> usb and cdr compatible saves resources and makes the step of writing to
>>> usb a simple one, granted liveusb-creator and livecd-iso-to-disk are
>>> easy enough to use but they are an additional download where as dd is
>>> installed by default. i can see no reason not to use this dual format
>>> for live releases, and if you think that because tools are available to
>>> use the existing method is a valid reason not to move forward with other
>>> more useful methods then i don't know what to say :-/

>>> phil

>> So what you are saying it that you want all of the mirrors to carry
>> both a
>> CD ISO and a USB ISO? One each for Gnome and KDE.

>> Ping. Both are the same animal guy. The same ISO that you would burn
>> to a CD
>> is the same ISO that you would write to a USB stick. It all depends on
>> what
>> you use to install it where.

> how about actually reading what's written huh? the iso that mandriva
> prepares is usable as a cd iso and a usb iso only requiring dd to write
> it to usb, so how is this two iso's?

> and the same goes here one iso two purposes, but with the mandriva
> version there is no need for installing secondary programs like
> livecd-tools or liveusb-creator to use it on a usb, just dd the image
> across

So what did Mandriva leave off their Live-CD that Fedora does not? The
powers that be said that the packages to 'write to a USB stick' would not
fit in the CD ISO.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Windows user. They do not have the
CLI like a Linux user does. And, quite honestly, many Linux users don't, or
can't, use the CLI either.

To write to a USB stick and then use it extensively would be, IMO, foolish.
Since the memory ship it write limited the swap file and log files, Linux
logs just about everything, I would think would kill it very quickly.

Be prepared for the flying shoes here.  :-p  Someone, somewhere, will want
include what you suggested to be excludes.

Have a good day.
--

  David