making available usb usable iso's without using livecd-iso-to-disk or liveusb-creator

psmith psmith at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 12 21:48:37 UTC 2009

Camilo Mesias wrote:
> Phil,
>

>>  i can see no
>> reason not to use this dual format for live releases, and if you think that
>> because tools are available to use the existing method is a valid reason not
>> to move forward with other more useful methods then i don't know what to say
>> :-/
>>

> The iso is less useful than the existing method. The existing tools
> can perform all sorts of checks, whereas dd is open to  mis-use. The
> existing tools are non-destructive so I can have a load of general
> purpose info (eg. Windows / Linux diagnostic tools and important data
> files (ssh or WPA keys). The USB disk remains cross-platform readable.
> I could do all this with the iso but would have to put multiple
> partitions on the device, and it starts to get more complex...
>
> I think the only way the existing tools could be improved is perhaps a
> GUI version and the ability to have several images on one disk and a
> boot menu to select between them.
>
> -Cam

and using the dual mode iso won't stop you from using your existing
methods, just allow others who want a quicker simpler route to usb to
have their way too. as i said before it doesn't remove any of the
existing functionality it only adds functionality for a different user
base, how is that so wrong?

phil