My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Andre Robatino andre at bwh.harvard.edu
Mon Apr 13 14:31:19 UTC 2009

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>> Excuse me Tom, this article is so bad I have to rip it apart.
>>>
>> Another quote:
>> "Those who want to use the computer but not have to know about it's
>> internals should not be able to accidentally trigger it."
>>
>> Does this imply that people can press CTRL+ALT+Backspace accidentally??
>>
>> I'm speechless.
>
> Many people in thread here and other places like the freedesktop mailing
> list and in http://lwn.net/Articles/327141/ have claimed to accidentally
> tripped this key combo.  It is not that hard.
>
> Rahul

I think it's great that this feature can now be turned on or off via the
GUI rather than having to manually edit xorg.conf.  I also agree with
the general principle that default settings should normally be aimed at
beginning users, since it's much easier for experienced users to change
the settings to their liking.  So I think the pertinent question is,
which users are typically more experienced, the ones who want to use
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, or the ones who regularly use complicated keyboard
combinations that can lead to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace being hit accidentally?
  (This isn't a rhetorical question, I really don't know, though I'm in
the former category.)