My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Lars E. Pettersson lars at homer.se
Mon Apr 13 14:49:10 UTC 2009

On 04/13/2009 04:31 PM, Andre Robatino wrote:
> I think it's great that this feature can now be turned on or off via the
> GUI rather than having to manually edit xorg.conf.  I also agree with
> the general principle that default settings should normally be aimed at
> beginning users, since it's much easier for experienced users to change
> the settings to their liking.

In that case I vote that ctrl-alt-backspace should be on by default.

The reason? Well, we do not want to learn new users that in case of
X-windows trouble, reboot the whole machine (which in most cases is not
needed). Instead, we instruct them to use ctrl-alt-backspace, as we have
done for years now, to kill just the X-window.

If anyone have problem with ctrl-alt-backspace, he/she could then change
the default to his/her liking. But the default ought to be on.

/Lars
(I have been using emacs since 1987, and never accidentally pressed
ctrl-alt-backspace...)
--
Lars E. Pettersson <lars at homer.se>
http://www.sm6rpz.se/