Profiling X, KDE, KWin and friends...

Ilyes Gouta ilyes.gouta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 11:12:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm running Fedora 10 on my old Thinkpad R50e, which has a Pentium M and an
intel 855GM graphics card and I'm not happy with the performance of KDE,
Kwin, Xserver and al. where sometimes, I can clearly see a given window
getting its background cleared and its content redrawn slowly. I remember I
didn't have annoying artifacts when I was running Windows, three years ago
on the same machine. I don't have composition enabled or any fancy thing in
my KDE setup. So basically, I'm asking if you guys know about any profiling
tool that would enable me to see where the system is spending its time,
especially when rendering the desktop.

Any ideas?

-Ilyes