Booting F9 kernels on XO...

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Apr 15 16:14:20 UTC 2009

2009/4/15 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com>:
>  - dsd has a nice "fixup F9 for XO" script described here
>   http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/archives/2008/08/regular-linux-desktops-on-the-xo/
>
> The script builds a custom 2.6.25 which I think pulls in a few
> additional patches (sound, etc), but most importantly, it builds the
> mmc related drivers statically. It also sets up an initrd.
>
> If we try to boot with the initd, it fails. But if we skip the initrd,
> the system boots.

What's the problem?
My custom initramfs definitely boots on my XO.
Also the stock F9 one did too, but it landed a lot of errors during
boot (which took several seconds to enumerate).

>  - Build a kernel exactly like Fedora 9 kernels, but with the mmc
> drivers built statically. This is what I am am doing right now,
> following the nice guide at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel

And boot without an initramfs?
When I did this IIRC boot would fail approximately 1 in 5 attempts
with sdhci errors. Never got a chance to figure out why, but putting
in the initramfs hid the problem nicely.

Daniel