PulseAudio and sound apps (was: Re: Orphaning a few packages)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Apr 15 16:51:54 UTC 2009

I wrote:
> A tool like qsynth is also an interesting example: that's a frontend for a
> MIDI software synthesizer. It can be used to just play MIDIs or it can be
> used for audio production. Right now its Fedora package is set up for JACK
> by default, though it can be set to use ALSA (and then works just fine
> with the PulseAudio ALSA plugin).

Well, actually it doesn't. It'll happily start up, but trying to actually
play anything outputs... nothing. With no error message or anything, it
just produces no sound, and AFAICT never actually connects to PulseAudio
(even if I try explicitly setting the ALSA output device to default or
pulse). The command-line fluidsynth is broken the same way. (This shows
another issue with the current situation: some programs claim to support
several APIs, but only one gets actually tested.) Well, at least there's
timidity++ which actually works...

        Kevin Kofler