GCJ requirements

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 02:08:16 UTC 2009

We've had openjdk for a bit now, and even on ppc.  Still a number of
things require gcj which means we wind up with a number of java runtimes
being installed on people's systems (and hogging space on the media).

$ sudo repoquery --whatrequires libgcj
ecj-1:3.4.2-4.fc11.x86_64
kawa-1:1.9.1-8.fc11.x86_64
gcc-java-0:4.4.0-0.34.x86_64
sinjdoc-0:0.5-8.fc11.x86_64
libgcj-src-0:4.4.0-0.34.x86_64
java-1.5.0-gcj-0:1.5.0.0-25.fc11.x86_64
libgcj-devel-0:4.4.0-0.34.i586
libgcj-devel-0:4.4.0-0.34.x86_64

This is a bit hard to capture all the things that require gcj and
wouldn't be satisfied by openjdk.  Is there a plan to move some/all of
these to openjdk, will there ever be a point where on x86/ppc we can
just have openjdk as the JRE and leave gcj as an optional install?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!