Saving space on the DVD

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Thu Apr 16 13:45:32 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:25:31AM -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:

> >> More image flavors and sizes involves concerns for mirrors et al.
> >> But how about a jigdo-only (and torrent too?) reconstructable image
> >> of either a second dvd, or a dual-layer sized big dvd?  Or even of
> >> 3x dual-layer dvd images to hold it all on "canonical" media images.
> >
> > Jigdo is a usability disaster.  Our users have a hard enough time just
> > getting a direct iso download and burning it successfully, to try and
> > throw jigdo at them would be... painful.
>

> I would like some further explanation on this opinion of yours.

I for one agree with Jesse.  I used to be a big Jigdo supporter.  In
theory, it is a great idea.  In practice, it is such a pain for even
an experienced person to use (me) that I most often just download
.iso's or do a network install.  For example, last time I helped
someone install Fedora 10, we just ended up doing a network install
which automatically grabbed the updates repo from a mirror, rather
than going through the pain of trying to download the updated Fedora
Unity 10 media using jigdo.  If pyjigdo ever got anywhere, maybe
things would be better.

Another idea would be to put CD-sized iso images on a DVD iso or
dual-layer DVD iso.