bluetooth headsets and pulseaudio in rawhide

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Apr 16 17:56:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16.04.09 18:02, Peter Robinson (pbrobinson at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> What is the status of bluetooth headsets and pulse audio for rawhide?
> The release notes for pulseaudio 0.9.15 mention that as of that
> release they should "just work" but the new pulse audio volume control
> doesn't see the headset even though the headset is reporting as being
> connected via the gnome bluetooth applet.

Yes, this should work. PA picks up all audio devices that are
connected via the bt applet.

Make sure to install pulseaudio-modules-bluetooth for this to work.

Use pavucontrol's 'Configuration' tab to switch between HSP/HFP and
A2DP profiles.

There are problems with HSP/HFP audio on some cheap BT dongles
(ISSSC). However A2DP works perfectly well (even with lip-sync video
playback) on all hw I have toyed around with here.

If it doesn't work for you the best way to debug things is running
'pulseaudio -vvvvv' in one terminal (as normal user, possibly killing pa
first) and 'bluetoothd -nd' in a second terminal (as root, possibly
killing it first). Then watch the output while you connect the headset
via the applet. If you are unable to read the output please paste it
somewhere and drop by the #pulseaudio channel on freenode or file a bug.

Lennart