My first DontZap use case while testing F11 beta

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:13:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Anders Rayner-Karlsson
<anders at trudheim.co.uk> wrote:
> * Matthew Garrett <mjg at redhat.com> [20090417 18:52]:

[ snip ]

> So - from my perspective, being one of those hate-object "@RH" people,
> while C-A-Bs was available, my choice was not to use it because the
> work was more valuable than the 3-4 minutes to assess the situation
> and to try a few ways to recover it.

Having that choice was good though, wasn't it? In the same way you
hadn't copied your keys to another machine, you maybe hadn't added the
new zap option to xorg.conf, so you no longer have that option.

And I don't think a new user would be expected to type blind in a
console... so they would have had to hit the reboot button, or the
shutdown button if they don't have a reboot button.

For me my desktop has as many important services running as I have
apps -- so restarting X is not as costly as restarting the machine.

--
Fedora 9 : sulphur is good for the skin
( www.pembo13.com )