Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:15:59 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:48 PM, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> Andrew Haley wrote:
>
>> Well, sometimes the fact that something *is* standard is far more
>> important
>> than what the standard is.  And /usr has been around for a very long time,
>> and lots of software (an people, for that matter) know that it's there.
>> Much of the GNU configured software by default installs in /usr/local.
>> There has to be a very high bar for changing common practice.
>
> Yeah, I agree. I mean I haven't really seen any *solid* reason for removing
> /usr. What does it improve? What situation does it fix? It doesn't save a
> massive amount of space, it doesn't increase performance, it doesn't resolve
> any long standing bug I can see. A change like that for so little gain will
> find it hard to gain traction I think.

Not that I support or not support dropping /usr, but let's do this
quick calculation:

Every day I spend 3 seconds in average to type /usr. I am pretty sure
that it is safe to assume that there are at least 100000 people like
me in the world. This makes 300000 seconds to type /usr every day in
the world. 300000 seconds is not easy to ignore, and can be used for
more useful and productive things, like replying to this topic. :p

Cheers,
Orcan