F10: something broken with lvm

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Sun Apr 19 23:40:12 UTC 2009

We just upgraded a number of machines to F10 and after a few weeks I've
noticed something wrong with lvm.  Some of our inhouse scripts are
breaking that deal with lvm.  When I look at /etc/fstab and mount I see
entries what used to look like:
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 /                      ext3    defaults        1 1
getting changed to this:
/dev/dm-3   /                     ext3   defaults      1 1

Where does this '/dev/dm-3' device come from?  I don't find it
referenced in any of the lvm tool outputs.  Whatever caused this change
to happen please revert this back to just listing lv's in normal lvm
parlance please.  These mysterious changes are breaking things and are a
complete nuisance.  How do we go about undoing these changes and how do
we prevent this from happening again?

Regards,
Gerry