Getting rid of /usr for F12?

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Mon Apr 20 19:12:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 22:02 +0300, Juha Tuomala wrote:
> It sounds like there should first be a specification and
> then we should implement it. That would be nice, but unfortunately
> there isn't. This industry has plenty of examples from de-facto
> implementations until they are formally standardized.

There is a specification, which is that the site admin gets to decide
how that path is used.  That is it.  Period.

> > /srv/ is hands off, undefined layout to be managed by the local admin,
> > period.  We can't make any assumptions about what is in there, nor how
> > it is being used.
>
> If shell looks under /srv in addition to /etc/profile.d it would allow
> local admins use it.

Look where though?  We can't pre-create directories, nor can we assume
any layout as that may have adverse effects based on how the admin is
using /srv/.

> If they choose not to, they should do nothing. Such
> improvement could even be switched off in some /etc/sysconfig file easily.
> I don't see how it would intrude their autonomous area if it wont
> force them into anything.
>
> The whole point of /srv is to have your server's role data in single
> location for obvious reasons. I can imagine that people running Fedora
> as server would appreciate such option due more frequent upgrades.

/srv exists as a place admins can put things without worry of the
operating system interfering.  Once you start interfering, /srv/ looses
it's usefulness, and admins will start making /data or /web or other
such things again.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (http://jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)