changelog format

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 20:26:27 UTC 2009

On 04/20/2009 10:21 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 23:32 +0200, Björn Persson wrote:
>> I gather I'm expected to write the changelog in a spec file by hand.
>
> Why is this, BTW? Is there a reason we don't just generate it from CVS
> commit messages, beyond "no-one's had time / inclination to implement
> it"?

Because there's no forced standard for CVS commit messages.  Plus, each
CVS commit in pkgcvs does not necessarily equal a new release or version
increment in the package.  At least that's not how I use pkgcvs.

I view the RPM changelog as mostly fluff for end-user consumption.  We
[the packagers] can summarize the main points of that release, note bug
numbers addressed, and other major points for that iteration of the package.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI