development packages and multilib

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Apr 21 01:07:40 UTC 2009

Tom Lane wrote:
> I'm not entirely sure what's the point of this rule, given that if you
> have any binary executables the two packages aren't going to be
> concurrently installable anyway.  But I suppose a lot of -devel packages
> don't need to do that.

The idea is that it should not matter which binary is run, e.g. whether you
run 32-bit or 64-bit bison, you'll (hopefully) get the same generated
parser.

Of course this breaks horribly if the binary is something like kde4-config
(you'll want kde4-config --libsuffix and the like to return different
results for 32-bit or 64-bit builds), and we don't have a good solution for
that. (Yes, kde4-config is an ELF binary, not a script.)

        Kevin Kofler