Can we have a Delta-DVD release

James Gallagher jbgallagher2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 21 18:46:24 UTC 2009

--- On Tue, 21/4/09, Jonathan Dieter <jdieter at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Jonathan Dieter <jdieter at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Can we have a Delta-DVD release
> To: "Development discussions related to Fedora" <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Tuesday, 21 April, 2009, 7:56 AM
> On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 23:40 -0400,
> Warren Togami wrote:
> > On 04/20/2009 10:15 PM, James Gallagher wrote:
> > >
> > > After all, I think some of the large language
> packages would have a
> > > pretty small delta between 6 month release
> cycles.
> > >

> > Note that nearly every package is rebuilt between
> releases.
> >
> > For this to make any difference at all, it would have
> to delta not only
> > the bits of the RPM packages, but delta the
> uncompressed RPMS against
> > each other.
> >
> > Does any tool do this today across an entire ISO
> image?
>
> There is makedeltaiso in the deltarpm package.  I
> haven't tested it much
> as I don't use the DVD iso images to install.
>
> Jonathan

So there is! Doesn't work on F9 -> F10 but on F10 -> F11 beta DVD (x86_64)
I get a delta iso image of 2.2GB, about 53% less than the full iso. Hmm, not as good as I was expecting, probably not worth making a fuss about unless we could get <1GB.

Are there any plans to optimise this tool or use it for future releases?

James