FOSS needs a central bug tracker

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Apr 21 20:58:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 22:37 +0200, Mark wrote:
> I'm also playing a bit with the idea that there is one central bug
> tracking system with ALL (ideally) foss projects in it and that place
> is the main and upstream place(that's the general idea you all know by
> now).

No. This is not desirable. Forget it, it's never going to happen. Clear
your mind. Think git, not CVS. Think distributed bug tracking.

Interoperation, not consolidation.

And there's the basic fact that no one wants a single point of failure.
What if the One Bug Tracker To Rule Them All goes down? The entire Open
Source world screeches to a halt? Who is everyone going to trust to run
this thing? What if the OBTTRTA gets hacked?

The beauty of Open Source is that people are *not* forced to work
together.