Independent Fedora bug tracker

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed Apr 22 16:36:28 UTC 2009

On 04/23/2009 12:26 AM, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:
>
>> Actually, I think the Fedora Infrastructure team, from what I've witnessed, is
>> more the capable of doing this.  Unless I'm totally clueless (which I may be),
>> if Fedora Infrastructure undertook running an issue tracking system
>> themselves, I do not think it would be the most complex system in the whole
>> project.  I think they handle far more challenging tasks on a day-to-day
>> basis.
>>

> Nothing personal but you're not in a position to make this judgement.
> We've not even setup a test version populated with data about the size
> that would be required for Fedora so no analysis of what we could or could
> not do has been done.
>
> 	-Mike
I know that.  I'm just a Fedora user.  This thread is exploratory, and
I'm trying to get this kind of information out there.  I didn't mean to
speak for the team at all, I just wanted to say I think greater problems
have been tackled.

Is Bugzilla so hard to manage, though?  Is the data really that enormous?

Another example that comes to mind, though definitely not
apples-to-apples, was the migration from MoinMoin to MediaWiki.  Yes, I
realize Bugzilla does much more than a wiki does, but I witnessed a lot
of the process of that migration, and yes, it's still ongoing, and there
was stumbling along the way.  But the community really came together on
that and helped-out.  I also realize that currently, Bugzilla is much
more of a core app to both Fedora & Red Hat than the Wiki is or likely
ever will be.  But the concept of migrating a system is not new to
Fedora.  The key is how can we leverage the community to help with it.