security flaw in udev

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Wed Apr 22 18:30:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 19:12 +0200, Dennis J. wrote:
> On 04/22/2009 07:04 PM, Neal Becker wrote:
> > http://lwn.net/Articles/329266/rss
> >

> What is the proper procedure to update infrastructure components like udev
> or hal without rebooting the machine? udev for example doesn't have an init
> script.
>
> Given the expected increased use of virtualization reboots of the host
> machine are going to become more and more painful. This should probably be
> taken into account when designing these component and/or packaging them.

Uhh, actually I find virtualization makes rebooting the host easier. My
server is running CentOS 5 with its previous Debian install running in a
Xen VM, that still handles most of the services. Apparently when the
host reboots, the VM is automatically hibernated, and restored on the
next boot. The VM hardly notices anything happened at all, just a
temporary lack of network connection and CPU time... :)

The more disruptive thing is, doesn't everyone's *VM*s need to be
patched and rebooted now too? :P