development packages and multilib

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 19:04:35 UTC 2009

Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> writes:
>> That doesn't solve the problem.  The part of the problem that's actually
>> not solved today is the /usr/bin/foo-config problem.  Without a fix for
>> that, making it a bit easier to deal with include-file diffs isn't
>> worth anything.

> The same way cross compilation identifies gcc and strip and whatnot.
> Prefix it with the architecture.

Which immediately breaks all the upstream configure scripts that are
trying to use the config program in the first place.  You can get away
with renaming the compiler because there's twenty years of precedent
for not hard-coding the value of $(CC), and workable infrastructure for
build processes to avoid assuming anything about it.  There is no
precedent or infrastructure for dependent packages to find mysql-config
under any name but that one.

The approach that I thought about when I first ran into this problem
was to have the config script examine the value of `uname -i` to decide
which output to produce.  I remember being told that that wasn't
acceptable, but I do not recall exactly why not.

			regards, tom lane