Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 20:08:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 20:34 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > You had about a year to complain that the Volume Control feature didn't
> > include your use case, and given the 0.01% of the population using their
> > sound system like you do, I doubt it would have crossed our minds that
> > this could have been the case.
>
> People did complain, they got told (by you and others) that it is an
> intentional design feature not to show the options they need.

Complaining after a feature freeze isn't going to help us get the
software in the release just coming up.

What we don't want to do is do a botched job at supporting work-arounds,
instead of fixing the original use cases.

I'm not interested in adding a button to do this or that using ALSA. So,
no, we won't be adding a way to change the input settings via ALSA to
the gnome-volume-control UI. And we'll be fixing this properly for F12.

If you have specific use-cases that aren't covered by the current
software, file a bug upstream.