Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 22:33:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 14:51 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> > > Which is stupid. Deprecate first, then remove only after the new code
> > > has gone through at least one cycle of wide release.
> >
> > Thanks, love you too.
> >
> > And ship two apps with that do the same thing in the desktop? What a
> > great way to confuse things further.
>
> We package duplicates all the time. Doesn't mean it has to be installed
> or visible or available by default.
>
> Lets rip out KDE, it just duplicates GNOME and confuses people!

Well, we do have a couple of GUI mixers which still give you raw access
- the xfce mixer is the most logical fit. But I'd really like to have it
installed by default in this particular case. People will be happy at
not having a GUI mixer with raw access to the hardware channels only if
the shiny new abstracted mixer genuinely covers every case. As is very
clear from this list, the bug report, test-list and fedoraforums, it's
not even close. So I'm going to push very hard to have an alternate GUI
mixer available for F11. The new mixer is obviously the Way Forward, but
at the moment it's two steps forward for most people and a couple of
dozen back for a significant minority.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey