Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 17:38:45 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 17:31 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Still I think that playing audio through line-in a pretty exotic
> feature. If you want to do weird stuff like this, go to the ALSA
> mixer. It's not that PA takes that away from you. You can always
> bypass PA if you really feel that you need 555 different controls.

To reiterate, I at least am not proposing that gnome-volume-control
support all these cases. g-v-c should support profile switching and
input switching, and have a single volume control that actually works
properly on all hardware. That would be enough.

All I want beyond that is for there to be a GUI mixer that provides full
channel control available in the default install for all editions of
Fedora, *alongside* Pulse-level mixers like the new-skool g-v-c. Only
providing alsamixer would be a serious regression - most people don't
know that it exists, or know how to use it. And most people, infamously,
don't read the release notes. This isn't our fault, but it's something
we should take into account.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey