Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Apr 23 17:46:10 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 08:41 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> And the response to Stephen's need to control bass and treble speakers
> individually was stupid too -- you _don't_ want to just tie them
> together. Depending on what he's playing, he might need to adjust the
> relative volume of bass vs. treble. That's not an unreasonable desire.

You abstract it and present it in the UI as a volume slider and a "tone"
slider.

hwvol = vol;
bassvol = vol * tone;

Which is the kind of stuff PA *should* be doing. But Stephen is a fringe
nutjob for owning such uncommon hardware, and PA is never going to
support it.

> It's not good enough to just say "No. I know your hardware can do that
> really well and it used to work, but we have decreed that your use case
> isn't important so you're not allowed to do it that way any more".
>
> That just sucks.

+1

Thank god, someone else has some sanity. :P