Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Apr 23 19:19:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 01:31 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > Probably not a PA config option either.
> > >
> > > The volume control applet will show a mixer for input devices if an
> > > application is recording on it. You'd just need to make the mixer think
> > > that something is recording on that device. I'm not sure how to do that,
> > > but Lennart might.
> >
> > No, you are misunderstanding. I don't want to adjust the input volume. I
> > want it left alone. I want the master left alone. Master stays at 0dB,
> > Line stays at 0dB. I want PA to dink with PCM instead of Master.
>
> You can pass a parameter (control=) when loading the PA ALSA plugin
> (module-alsa-sink) which specifies the ALSA mixer element to
> choose. It's intended to be used as a hackish work-around for drivers
> that don't name their controls properly.

THANK YOU. That is *ALL* I was asking for at the start of this thread.
This whole thread could have been accomplished with one polite useful
reply. But no, Bastien Nocera had to escalate it in to a dickfest.

$ pulseaudio
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument:
"control=PCM"): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

So how the shit do I make it work?

> And as mentioned there's a workaround, you can specify the control for
> a sink. But using that will break device autodetecting and hence the
> whole profile logic. BTW, that option was contributed by someone with a
> weird driver who supplied me with a patch. He didn't whine on a huge
> thread on a mailing list, but just prepared a patch. Could be a good
> role model for some other folks, don't you think?

Fuck you.