Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Andreas Thienemann andreas at bawue.net
Thu Apr 23 20:57:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> You are forgetting one thing: PA is a desktop sound server, not a pro
> audio sound server or anything for music production.
>
> And that's why input monitoring doesn't make much sense for PA and I
> don't plan to support it. If you do pro audio, then don't use PA. Use
> JACK and use the raw ALSA.

I wouldn't consider "input monitoring" a pro-audio feature. I recently
spent about 4 years at university, getting a degree. I've seen quite a lot
of people there having no audio equipment at all except a notebook or a
computer with some external speakers.

Many of them had a mp3 player or a minidisc player connected to the line
in and played their music through the speakers of their computer.

I'm certain these people were not pro-audio guys or anything but the
standard Windows XP desktop user. So maybe it would be worthwile
considering their usecase desktop-audio worthy?

Just saying...

regards,
 andreas