Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 02:00:23 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 17:58 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>
>> Please do lift this curse from Fedora. It is bad. It is broken to a
>> great extent. I'm glad I got rid of it before it started damaging my
>> hardware.
>
> Since you're being a bitch today, here's some karma: I rebooted earlier
> this afternoon and my network didn't come up. Having caused a nice level
> of domestic strife by rebooting the router and knocking my partner
> offline, and then caused myself a lot of frustration by fiddling with
> the router and my own system and even everything else connected by wifi
> for an hour (and losing lots of valuable work time), I noticed rt2860
> had been bumped to a new version. By you.

1- I repeatedly told folks that I DO NOT OWN THIS HARDWARE. I am just
maintaining the kmod because nobody else does and people need it. I
would be more than happy to give it away to someone who owns the
hardware and can do tests.

2- The issue has been reported and the package will not be pushed to
stable. If you are using rawhide, you should get used to such things.

3- However pulseaudio is not just in rawhide. It is in stable. Even
worse, it is enabled by DEFAULT! Even more worse, IT IS THE DEFAULT
SOUND SYSTEM IN FEDORA!!! I have every right to blame on who made this
happen. Pulseaudio is pure crap, rt2860 drivers aren't good but they
work (sometimes).

> I went back to the old version, rebooted, and lo and behold - up came my
> wireless.
>
> SO YOU FUCKING BROKE MY SYSTEM YOU FUCKING BASTARD YOU SHOULD PAY!!!
> 11111!!!!!! YOU ARE NOT GOD! GIVE ME BACK MY AFTERNOON!

I don't want to respond to this. Foul language belongs to its speaker.

> there, that didn't help anyone, did it? It's a bug. I'll go and
> investigate a bit more later, and then I'll file it in the correct
> location. I will not chase you down on mailing lists and denigrate your
> hard work with expletive filled messages, and I suggest you refrain from
> doing the same to others in future.
> --

I do appreciate your work and your time spent on this. But swallow the
big bite. IT DID NOT WORK. So, please for the good of humanity, kill
this package.

I had to change my PhD thesis topic twice. Why? Because my
calculations didn't work out right (I couldn't disprove my theory
either). So I had to put hundreds of pages of calculations and more
than a year-full of work to trash, literally. It happens. I just
accepted the fact and worked on something else.

If you are using firefox, just start typing "pulseaudio is..." on the
search bar with google engine. You'll see what suggestions it will
give you along the way.

Best,
Orcan