Fedora 11 nerfed my mixer

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 15:19:45 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 10:14 AM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 17:58 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>> He doesn't need to imply anything. Curseaudio is unbroken only in your
>> system(s) and possibly in a countably many other people's.
>>
>> > Also, what's the point of listing closed bugs?
>> >

>> They are not all closed. There are many OPEN's as well as WONTFIX' and
>> WORKSFORME's.
>>
>> Please do lift this curse from Fedora. It is bad. It is broken to a
>> great extent. I'm glad I got rid of it before it started damaging my
>> hardware.
>>
>> Pretty please!
>
> Orcan, I don't think this is very helpful.
>
> I think many people have had similar experiences -- I actually disabled
> PulseAudio completely in my own F-10 machines and especially my
> father's, because audio was just too unreliable.
>
> But Fedora is _supposed_ to be bleeding edge. It may have been a little
> _too_ bleeding edge in that case, but it's also a lot better in F-11
> than it used to be. A lot of work has gone into fixing the bugs, and
> personally I'm determined to stick with it in F-11.
>
> Amusingly, the first time I noticed PulseAudio actually 'doing its job'
> and mixing multiple streams was completely counterproductive -- it was
> when I was trying to give a presentation from OpenOffice, and because
> the video was playing on both screens, so did the audio... slightly out
> of sync with each other, giving me an echo :)
>
> But still, I'm determined to stick with it. And I don't think that
> attacking it on those grounds is particularly useful.
>
> The issue which we _should_ address is how regressions are handled when
> they're actually a _design_ issue in PulseAudio rather than simply a
> bug. It's very disturbing that regressions are being marked as WONTFIX,
> and I think we need to do better than that.

David,
Had CA worked for me in just one case out of so many, I wouldn't
complain so strongly. Recently it started damaging my wife's data on
her computer (just hard-reboot your computer as if it was frozen 5
times a day for a month. I'm confident that you'll lose some data at
some point). I'm glad I shut it off before it damaged the hardware.

It is harmful. It is 100% crap. OK, maybe 99.999%, since it works for you guys.

I am all for bleeding edge. But CA is so immature that it doesn't have
a circulatory system yet. Thus it cannot bleed.

Orcan