development packages and multilib

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 15:24:25 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:15:59AM -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 10:19 -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> > Why not? I've built lots of 32 bit packages on 64bit machines using mock
> > and setarch.
>
> He may be talking about whatever it is that keeps livecd-creator from
> being ran inside mock chroots, which I think is getting fixed.

I said it in my email further up: you can't nest mock builds, and it
requires extra steps by root to configure mock.

Practically this means that appliances can't be built in mock or Koji.

febootstrap fixes the above and allows appliances to be built inside
mock, because it doesn't need root, or setuid helper programs, or
bind-mounting, or anything else like that.  It runs yum using fakeroot
and fakechroot.  This wasn't possible previously, but I've pushed
upstream sufficient patches to make yum and %post scripts work in
fake{,ch}root environments.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-top