The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

Bastien Nocera bnocera at redhat.com
Fri Apr 24 19:00:27 UTC 2009

> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 19:23 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > I don't agree with including it by default. Document it in the release
> > notes (or rather, update the notes, they already have some notes about
> > that). We _want_ to know what use cases we missed, and which ones are
> > worth supporting in gnome-volume-control.
>
> As far as I'm concerned the major ones are known: the biggie is input
> switching, after that it's just bugs where Pulse's slider does not
> properly control the volume because of some idiosyncracy of the
> card/driver. Lennart has said input switching in particular will be
> implemented only for F12.

I know, it's a UI problem and I'm supposed to be fixing that. We already
knew the feature wouldn't make it for F11 when we realised it was needed
to fix a specific use-case.

>  Honestly, I totally expect that by f12, g-v-c
> will be good enough to be the only GUI 'mixer' installed by default. I'm
> proposing this as a stopgap for a single release.

Except that it'll still be installed for upgrades. So it should be a
conscious decision of the administrator of the machine/user to install
it. If we were to obsolete it with gnome-volume-control, we'd get yelled
out, and for a reason.

So I still don't want to see it installed by default.