FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Sat Apr 25 01:26:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, 24.04.09 17:48, Adam Williamson (awilliam at redhat.com) wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 17:15 -0700, Christopher Aillon wrote:
>
> > A compromise works best if both parties are on board.  I don't believe
> > that the desktop guys will object to the package existing and being
> > installable if people want.  No CLI needed since we have GUI install
> > tools.  The objection is with the mandate for it to be installed by
> > default on the desktop live/install spins.
>
> *All* parties agreed on the compromise during the meeting, including
> those speaking on behalf of the desktop group. Approximate quote (since
> I'm on my laptop and don't have the IRC log handy): "I gave you that if
> it's what's needed to make this issue go away". Not everyone has to be
> 100% happy with a compromise (not everyone on the other side of the
> fence is 100% happy with it either), it just has to be agreed.

I am not sure if am a considered a 'party' here. This was a decision
of FESCO which I am not part of -- so if I agree or not doesn't matter.

To state this clearly: I did _not_ agree with this 'compromise'. I
think shipping two mixers like this by default is a bad decision, and
I am pretty sure that the big majority of the desktop group is with me
on that.

What I can agree on is that this 'discussion' needs to end. And that's
why I just don't care anymore. I didn't escalate this to FESCO in the
first plce, and I am not fighting this further.

I find it a bit weird that FESCO feels to have to intervene in this
case. Apparently FESCO thinks that making decision on bloody volume
controls is more appropriately done by FESCO than by the desktop
folks. And let me also state that I find it a bit dubious that if a
certain person is not happy with a decision a group of people make in
Fedora he runs to some commitee he himself happens to be member of and
then uses it to push it through regardless what the folks whose area
of expertise the issue belongs to think.

In summary: well done!

Lennart