FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Apr 26 01:44:59 UTC 2009

On 04/26/2009 03:45 AM, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 14:58 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 16:45 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
>>> A compromise that does absolutely nothing, that is 0%, to address my
>>> concerns is productive how?
>>>
>>> Have the concerns of the person that sparked this whole thing become
>>> irrelevant at some point along the way?
>>>
>>> This thing has certainly spun far out of my control, and no longer even
>>> has much to do with what I wanted in the first place.
>> Unfortunately it wasn't just your needs we were trying to address in the
>> meeting.
>
> Just sayin'. I'm sure not getting anything out of this so far.
>
> Who's needs are we trying to address now? Do they have a name? It feels
> like FESCo is trying to address the needs of two straw men at this
> point.

They addressed the needs of people like me who want to change the input
sources. I have to change from mic to front mic to record anything at
all or use voice chat and I am not at all twiddle happy in these things.
If it works by default, I wouldn't change a thing. Unfortunately it
doesn't. While I personally can fall back to alsamixer, it is going to
be more trouble for other users.

There is also a smaller number of users for whom, sound does not work at
all until they fiddle with one of the volume control settings in alsamixer.

Fortunately, these are bugs or enhancements requests taken into
consideration by PulseAudio folks and should be fixed by Fedora 12
timeframe.

Rahul