FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:07:11 UTC 2009

Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 22:27 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
>> Now I'm not on FESCo and I'm not on the desktop team, so what do the
>> real stakeholders here think?  Desktop team, do you get enough value
>> from being the default spin to outweigh the extra burden of satisfying
>> everyone who thinks of the Desktop Spin as the Fedora Distribution?
>> FESCo, if the desktop team says they want a spin of their own to
>> control, are you willing to figure out a different spin (or different
>> method) for telling user's what the Fedora Distribution is?
>
> The fundamental problem is that nobody knows what Fedora is. It gets
> constantly torn into different directions, and as a result, makes nobody
> happy. See recent board agendas ("What is Fedora")...

I think this is a bit of a distraction.  The Board is discussing what
Fedora the Project is.  Fedora the Distribution is very concretely
specified by what's on the get-fedora page.

Now, what Fedora the Project is does affect what Fedora the Distribution
 is but not in the same way as the concrete package set that gets run on
your computer.  The Board could say "Fedora is a project that aims at
making computers as easy to use as possible" and we'd still be having
this discussion about which packages on the default spin fulfill that
vision.

-Toshio