Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 27 19:43:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Basil Mohamed Gohar wrote:

> I think for downloading RPMs, yum would know on a per-file basis how
> much space was needed.  I think this is what Seth meant.

But that's not really a big deal. If you run out of disk space downloading
the pkgs it just doesn't matter b/c you're not in the middle of a
transaction. Other than it being annoying, you're not out anything, just a
little time.

> Likewise, for installing, it's possible (I think?) from the RPM file
> itself to know the sizes of the files that will be created during the
> transaction, and thus preallocate each one.  This logic would go into
> RPM itself, I guess.

But rpm won't be able to protect that the entire transaction will not run
out of disk space. Which is an ugly problem to protect against.

-sv