2.6.29 kernel for f10

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Mon Apr 27 19:48:41 UTC 2009

On 04/27/2009 06:13 PM, M A Young wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Dennis J. wrote:
>
>> I guess I'm wondering why so much effort is put into this when by the
>> time the kernel gets released for f10 it is already outdated and we
>> are moving towards a f12 release which will end the support for f10
>> anyway.
>>
>> If f10 and/or kernel 2.6.29 is going to be the baseline for RHEL 6
>> then I could see why such an effort is made but other than that, why
>> bother?
>
> f10 has still 7 or 8 months to run. f9 is the version that will be
> obsoleted soon, and that isn't being updated to 2.6.29. There is a good
> chance that 2.6.30 will be out before f12 is released.

That's really my point. 2.6.30 will be out soon so 2.6.29 will be outdated
again. What is the motivation of putting this much work into a kernel that
will be outdated when released and only have a shelf-life of 7 or 8 months.
Is there some critical feature in there that makes 2.6.29 so much better
than 2.6.27 to warrant this much effort for so little gain?

Regards,
   Dennis