Abandon "Default Desktop"

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 20:18:38 UTC 2009

2009/4/27 Christoph Höger <choeger at cs.tu-berlin.de>

> Am Montag, den 27.04.2009, 15:53 -0400 schrieb Orcan Ogetbil:
> > 2009/4/27 Christoph Höger:
> > > This is a free distribution.
> > >
> > > If you don't like _any_ default choice, feel free to make your own
> > > spin ;)
> > >
> > > That said: I think, a default desktop is needed as well as a default
> > > color sheme or a default name: You need something that helps people to
> > > recognize fedora. That's all.
> > >
> > > And of course: We could switch that if the community wants to.
> > >

> > We could make odd releases with Gnome default and even releases KDE
> > default. That way, we can get a better distributed feedback. Right
> > now, I believe that there are more Gnome users out there just because
> > it is the default. New users don't mess with the defaults.
> >
> > Just an idea.
> > Orcan
> >

> Jupp, and prime releases get XFCE and every release n that fullfills x^n
> + y^n = z^n for integers x,y,z get LXDE.
>
> --

As absurd as that is... And that is pretty absurd, I do like the idea of
even/odd split default. The problem is that Fedora doesn't provide a good
default set for KDE yet, and if we wanted to push something like that, KDE
would need to be brought in as a first-class citizen. I'm not discounting
the work of the KDE SIG people. Those people do a great job. But you notice
that we don't have a GNOME SIG. The fact that we need a KDE SIG in the first
place shows that we treat KDE as a second-class citizen.

The only time KDE was a first class citizen on Red Hat/Fedora Linux was RHL
8.0 to 9. After that, it seemed that Fedora rested a bit on its laurels as
far as KDE went and chugged ahead only with GNOME. I don't use KDE for the
simple reason that it just isn't as well integrated as GNOME is. And there
are performance issues with KDE too that GNOME simply doesn't have because
more people work on it.

By switching the default each release, we could force more work to be done
on each desktop.

However, I doubt this would happen.... But it is a thought....