Abandon "Default Desktop"

Mark Bidewell mark.bidewell at alumni.clemson.edu
Mon Apr 27 20:57:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 15:53 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> > We could make odd releases with Gnome default and even releases KDE
> > default. That way, we can get a better distributed feedback. Right
> > now, I believe that there are more Gnome users out there just because
> > it is the default. New users don't mess with the defaults.
> >
> > Just an idea.
> > Orcan
> >
> That springs out a question out of curiosity - how many people are
> actually using the DVD releases compared to our Live Spins? I mean, I
> don't see much pros in the DVD based spin (which isn't even live, so you
> cannot check if it will work before installation) and the other spins
> are pretty much 'decentralised' desktop-wise sans the fact that for most
> of Fedora, Desktop \approx GNOME (which means we have Desktop SIG that
> takes care of GNOME stuff and KDE SIG taking care of KDE, similarly
> Desktop Live spin being probably equal to what GNOME Live would be and
> KDE spin and XFCE spin and LXDE spin and ...).
> Martin
>
> --

I haven't tried the live CD recently but the last time I tried installing
the KDE live CD, the resulting image had some annoying oddities, I have used
the DVDs since then.  I think this is related to the fact that the live CD
essentially "ghosts" the CD onto the hard drive (correct me if I'm wrong).

--
Mark Bidewell
http://www.linkedin.com/in/markbidewell