2.6.29 kernel for f10

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Tue Apr 28 00:12:10 UTC 2009

On 04/27/2009 10:42 PM, M A Young wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Dennis J. wrote:
>
>> That's really my point. 2.6.30 will be out soon so 2.6.29 will be
>> outdated again. What is the motivation of putting this much work into
>> a kernel that will be outdated when released and only have a
>> shelf-life of 7 or 8 months. Is there some critical feature in there
>> that makes 2.6.29 so much better than 2.6.27 to warrant this much
>> effort for so little gain?
>
> By that argument you would never update at all, because there will
> always be a new kernel coming along in a few months. There is also a
> cost to standing still, because things go out of date, and they would
> have to work to back-port patches for security fixes etc.

That makes sense for a long lived distribution but not really for fedora.
If I really need to be running the latest versions then I'll update to the
next version of fedora when it comes out which is always a maximum of 6
months away. I'm certain there are some fixes in the new kernel that some
people will appreciate and there is certainly no harm in getting them but
actually spending all this time on apparently rather complex problems
between these two kernel versions seems strange if the result will be that
short-lived.

I'm mean 2.6.27 isn't the freshest kernel but it doesn't look that bad to
me that people couldn't wait for the release of f11 which is right around
the corner.

Regards,
   Dennis