Abandon "Default Desktop"

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Tue Apr 28 19:15:13 UTC 2009

Adam Jackson wrote:
> Also: this thread is the cancer that is killing /fd/.  It's soapboxing
> pretending to be a development discussion.  I'd like my development list
> back please.

This thread was never intended to be somekind of "soapboxing"..

Honestly I dont see how you came to that conclusion if you read the
first thread
on this topic.

But I do understand your concerns regarding  /fd/ given the recent threads.

Encase you don't realize we are encounter the same/similar dilemma with
packagekit
( as I see it )

An end user double clicks an file that is open with application that he
does not have installed.

Do we present the end user with a choice on selecting which application
he would like to open from
available application and thus allow him to freely select and try
different application that can open/execute that file
or do we automatically make that chose for him and select and install
that application for him?

JBG