Abandon "Default Desktop"

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 21:54:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 23:33 +0200, Frank Schmitt wrote:

> The following is just some random bullshit, please don't take it
> seriously. I just want to demonstrate length and terminology of such a
> hint for the user (but probably even talking about frameworks and
> applets might be to high level):
>
> [screen-  Gnome: A desktop environment that tries hard to enforce
>  shot     consistent, accessible and coherent user interfaces. By
>  default  default the list of running applications and the main menu
>  desktop] items are split into two panels.
>

> [screen-  KDE: A desktop environment that gives its users more
>  shot     possibilities to adapt the environment to specific needs. In
>  default  KDE 4, panels and desktop are just different instances of a
>  desktop] common framework, allowing to move applets between panels and
>           the desktop.

You're on to four to five lines of text, which is way more than anyone
wants to read to make a selection like this. Your text also assumes
knowledge of what a "desktop environment" is, what a "panel" is, what an
"applet" is...(and whether that's a problem or not *again* comes down to
exactly who we're caring about here).

I know you said not to care too much about your specific text, but I see
the same problems every time someone attempts this. Describing GNOME and
KDE in a concise fashion in a way that makes sense to someone who
doesn't already actually *know* the difference seems very close to an
un-solveable problem.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey