The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a modest (productive) proposal

Basil Mohamed Gohar abu_hurayrah at hidayahonline.org
Wed Apr 29 13:12:53 UTC 2009

On 04/29/2009 08:21 AM, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 13:59 -0400, Ben Boeckel wrote:
>>> Subject: Re: The Great Pulseaudio Mixer Debate: a
>> modest (productive)
>>> proposal
>>> From: Ben Boeckel <MathStuf at gmail.com>
>>> To: fedora-devel-list at redhat.com
>>> Date: 04/27/2009 10:12 AM

>> kaffeine
>> way
>> basically
>> of
>> core
>> PA.
>> top
>>>
>>> That's amazing, because I have a 3ghz dual core and
>> PA takes ~10% CPU to
>>> play FLAC from Rhythmbox and can skip if I'm doing a
>> lot of work - say
>>> ffmpeg transcoding and moving files. Intel HD audio
>> (yes, generic)
>>> Analog Devices chip.
>>>
>> Maybe its a difference between xine and gstreamer?
>>
>> % lspci | grep -i audio
>> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JI (ICH10
>> Family) HD Audio Controller
>
> Check your logs. This is quite possibly the difference between "My
> hardware does 44.1khz natively" and "My hardware only does 48000khz and
> playing anything but a DVD requires resampling". Later Intel chipsets
> all seem to be the latter.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I also have a huge
CPU hit on my 4+ year old laptop, and I am sure that it handles
different sampling rates without much difficulty.

So, my question is, what logs can I check to find out if this is
happening (if I understood the message correctly)?