noarch rpm feature query/issue

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 18:19:39 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I have a query about the new noarch feature for building rpms. I have
a package called gupnp-vala which the contents there of can be noarch.
It built fine in koji as noarch so I presume it passed the rpmdiff or
what ever is run against the rpms. But it contains a pkgconfig file
which is located in /usr/lib or /usr/lib64 so pacakges built against
it (none actually in Fedora yet, but one awaiting review) fail to
build on either 32 or 64 bit platforms depending on which of the build
packages gets the lime light.

So my query is, I presume due to the pkgconfig this package shouldn't
be noarch, so there must be a bug there somewhere which caused it to
get past koji. But as its noarch AFAICT other than the location of the
pkgconfig file it seems somewhat of a waste to lose the advantage of
the noarch stuff for the sake of a pkgconfig file as I presume most
devel packages could be noarch.

Cheers,
Peter

BTW I see noarch packages are located in each of the separate arch
trees as opposed to being in a noarch dir which looks like the
advantage of the noarch in space saving isn't happening. What other
advantages does it offer?