Looking for reviews swaps

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Mon Apr 6 13:40:50 UTC 2009

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 05:53:25 +0200, Ralf wrote:
>
>> Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>> No, as part of "a larger and possibly commercial software distribution".
>> IMO, this "license" is self contradicting => Likely illegal and likely void.
>
> Well, I could agree with that, also because it is much too vague, and
> lawyers might laugh about the licence terms. The [albeit not legally
> binding] preamble of the licence explains the intent. They want to
> restrict commercial exploitation of the game data files by declaring some
> forms of sale of the game as illegal. According to the preamble, selling a
> commercial collection of games including this one would be illegal. One
> could not put together such a collection based on ScummVM (as the game
> data are useless without an engine like SCUMM). Nevertheless, it's lawyers
> and the FSF (as consulted) to decide whether this thing is considered
> "free enough", for Fedora or in general.

OK, provided what you say, I am sure Red Hat or you will pay the lawyers
of those people who plan to
- take these *.oggs and release them through a music d/l site.
- take these *.oggs and re-mix them for use in other SW-applications.
- take these *.oggs and re-use them in completely different application
domains.

>>> It's content, not code.
>> Any content is also "source"-code at the same time.  It's a matter of
>> use-case. It's essentially the same thing as fonts, images etc. In this
>> case it's "audio artworks."
>
> Note that game data uses the same licence text.

Same problem: You may not re-use these sources as input for other
games/game engines (unless the original SCUMM packages are also
installed) => non-free.