Fedora, Portable Edition?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Apr 7 02:21:36 UTC 2009

King InuYasha wrote:
> Hey, I just saw this new project out there called Portable Ubuntu (
> http://portableubuntu.sourceforge.net/).
> Perhaps we could bring something like that to Fedora? We seem to be
> incorporating more interoperability features lately, and I think this
> would bring us quite a bit closer to that. Also it lets people try out
> Fedora without rebooting or using a costly virtual machine. Even better,
> this brings in the ability to run native Linux binaries on Windows because
> it is running under the Linux kernel process. Interestingly enough, this
> could also result in being able to do stuff like side by side testing of
> Wine vs Windows of the same program.

This uses coLinux which requires administration privileges, so it's not
quite your average "portable app". Plus, coLinux uses an old kernel (they
always lag behind the current kernel versions - right now, even the
development version is stuck at 2.6.22.18) and has performance issues and
other limitations. You also get a port of an ancient X11 (Xming uses a
shareware model where only old versions are available for free, right now
the latest "public domain" version (which is not really public domain, by
the way, most of it is X11-licensed) is 6.9.0.31, everything newer is
proprietary (non-redistributable) and has to be paid for, blame the
non-copyleft license of X11 for allowing that) shoehorned into a foreign,
non-X11 window manager, so you don't experience any of the modern X11
features in Fedora. Just rebooting into a live image is a much better
solution.

        Kevin Kofler