conman spec details for proper uconfigured behavior

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 9 19:39:19 UTC 2009

Kent Baxley <kbaxley at redhat.com> writes:
> ... And the conman.spec has a %post stanza that does
> something like:

>   /sbin/chkconfig --add conman

> in order to have conmand started at boot.

chkconfig --add doesn't in itself start anything.  What you are doing
wrong is the setting in the initscript --- it should not be trying to
have itself automatically enabled.

> Most daemons in Red Hat
> seem to follow this convention.

No, they don't.  As a general rule, simply installing an RPM should
*never* autostart a daemon.  There are some exceptions, for daemons
without which your system won't function at all, but I strongly
doubt that conman qualifies.

The lack of assurance that the daemon is properly configured is
only one of the reasons why this is a bad idea.  Don't do it,
and don't give your customer the idea that anyone at Red Hat
sanctions it.

			regards, tom lane